Thursday 24 April 2014

POST TWO: Am I missing something?

Tomorrow is the big day.

Unlike previous rides, we shall be carrying everything that we need with us along the entire ride. That means, in some cases panniers and in others bulging rucksacks full of non bike related clothing, chargers, adaptors, toiletries and the like

Yesterday we were advised that our second nights stop includes a trip to a fancy restaurant...that has a dress code, so now to add to the already hefty luggage list, we shall be including posh frocks!

It seems to me that I am taking about as much "stuff" with me for three days as I did for two weeks, which I suppose is true to some respect.

The moment you walk out the door there's a list of stuff you need whether your trip is planned to take 1 day or 1 year. The difference in time just denotes how many copies of these things you take.

So, in the end, my kit list looks a little like this;

Essentials
Bike
Passport
Euros
Phone
Phone charger
Ruck sack
Garmin
External Charger (for ride charges)
Ferry booking confirmation
Euro star booking confirmation
Euro star Bike carriage confirmation
Route Notes
Map


Bike kit
Mini pump (good for 100 PSI)
5x spare tubes (three that are repaired once already)
8x Inflation cylinders
Co2 Inflator
Puncture repair kit.
Bin liner (for keeping clothes dry)
Small cellophane dry bags (for keeping phone and charger dry)
Small emergency lights (for rain and fog)
Saddle Bag
1x Water Bidon
Tri Bag (crossbars)
Chain tool
Tre levers
Spoke key
Ceramic dry lube
Small shop rag
Tyre Boot patch (for tears to tyre)
Multi tool (allen keys only)
5x pair latex gloves
Go Pro camera
Go Pro extendable stick mount
2x spare spokes ( I think, although I am worried about them getting bent and becoming useless)
Spare gear cable

Clothing
2x bib shorts
3x cycle tops
1x SPD shoes
3x cycle socks
Arm warmers
Water repellent jacket (with removable arms)
Gloves (long)
Neck warmer/buff
Helmet
 1x cycle glasses
1x pair light trousers (evening)
1x ”T” Shirt (evening)
3x Boxer shorts (evenings)
Tooth brush
Travel toothpaste
Deodorant (stick)

Ironically, everything is sorted other than one, kind of important thing...my bike.

On Sunday, my chain snapped and as a result my bike is still currently on a stand in the bike shop awaiting a new chain and block (which I would happily have sorted myself if I didn't have a day job to do this week).

I guess having a bike to ride is kind of fundamental to the plan, perhaps I should call the shop.


Amazing that it all fits in one bag

BACK<<





2 comments:

  1. Oh my God, you've forgotten the Sudocrem! And your LEJOG shirt. Make sure you take a decent camera as I am looking forward to seeing your next album of a puddles. Sounds like the weather will be perfect for them. GOOD LUCK ONE AND ALL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim is in charge of the cream! I started to carb up pretty early for the ride...like December. as a result the lejog shirt has no chance of fitting

    ReplyDelete